Mar 12, 2013

Comments from a few of our clients

Here are some brief comments from a few of our clients about the challenges they face.
“I am having a hard time being able to provide for my son with many things he is needs, as he is growing.  I always pay my bills first so that we do not go without any of the most important things each month, but after all my bills are paid, I feel as if we have nothing else.  I struggle every week to be able to put gas in my car, buy diapers, clothes and any other expenses that may come up.  I am happy with what assistance I receive, but I don’t believe the state understands how much my family does suffer every month while I am trying to better my life for my son and myself.”
 
 “I have no hours at my work at this time and I’m only getting a $521 check. I have three kids, including one whom I have to buy diapers for. I’ve been having lots of car trouble, which took all my money this month. My daughter starts kindergarten soon and I don’t have enough money to buy my two daughters school shoes, clothes and school supplies, even book bags. So I say, with a little bit of extra money I might be able to buy my daughters the things they need. Thank you.”
“I have a daughter and I am a single parent. I have to pay for gas, my car is broken down now and food, which my benefits barely pay for. I live on $355 a month from the cash benefits I get from Job and Family Services, which also is barely enough for us to live on, paying rent and other expenses.”

Over the last year, Athens County Job and Family Services has invited our clients to tell us about some of the challenges and struggles they are facing.
As Ohio’s leaders deliberate over the state’s next two-year budget, we will be  a few of these comments each week so that you can hear from some of our neighbors about the obstacles they face every day. We hope our leaders will look at how the budget impacts families who are just trying to survive, instead of just looking at the budget as a series of numbers and dollar signs.

No comments: