Apr 10, 2013

Hear from a few of our clients about the challenges they are facing

Over the last year, Athens County Job and Family Services has invited our clients to tell us about some of the challenges and struggles they are facing.
As Ohio’s leaders deliberate over the state’s next two-year budget, we are posting a few of these comments each week so that you can hear from some of our neighbors about the obstacles they face every day. We hope our leaders will look at how the budget impacts families who are just trying to survive, instead of only looking at the budget as a series of numbers and dollar signs.
We encourage you to take a few moments to read over the comments. Thank you for your time and thoughtful consideration.

·         “Not enough money to pay rent or a deposit on a house, trailer or an apartment.  I don’t even have enough food stamps to buy enough food to feed my kids all month.  I cannot keep my vehicle maintained to get my children back and forth to their appointments.  Also, I am not able to buy clothing for my children.”

·         “It’s really hard to support my family we only receive $435.00 per month.  We can only pay our electric bill, car payment and insurance.  It’s a struggle to have gas.  I have to get diapers from a church.  It’s very depressing and causes a lot of marital issues with being broke and struggling.  I have a bachelor’s degree and still cannot find a job.  My car is broken down and I don’t have the money to fix it to go out and find work.”

·         “I am just like everyone else…I want the American Dream.  I want to own my own home, car and to live comfortably.  My family gets assistance with medical, food, cash and SSI but every month I find myself picking through my bills to figure out what I must pay now or what will be shut off.  Sometimes I go without car insurance or let my electric bill go.  My car needs several repairs but I cannot afford them.  I am lucky to have enough gas to get to work so that I can do my work requirement hours.  We get our money on the first and by the third it’s gone from paying bills then I have to find money for diapers, soap, shampoo, diapers, clothes for my kids, laundry soap, etc.”

No comments: